Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Death and Life



I spent a large part of today on the female medical ward of the hospital working with the second year nursing students who are in clincal now. The hospital wards of RFM hospital are again like nothing I have ever witnessed before in my life. There were 22 patients on the ward in the morning and 20 when I returned in the afternoon from lunch to work with the second group of students that come at 1PM. Just that quick two patients had died. One I knew from the moment I saw her this morning was very near death. No matter what it is still a humbled experience to watch it all play out. The bodies are removed quickly from the wards as they do not like them to lie around. It is also an infection control issue for them.

Nearly ever female patient in this ward ranging from old to young has HIV and it is a devating site to behold. Many have waited so long to come for help that there is just not much that can be done besides making them comfortable which the nurses try their best to do. The nurses here are a bit over worked and most likely traumatized by all of the death they have had to deal with. At one point nurses were leaving Swazi to go to other countries (some recruited away) but Swazi is considered stable now and more are staying in country and some are coming here from places like Zimbabwee and Zambia that are currently having problems.

Rather than show you a picture of death I thought I would share a pic taken while on safari that speaks more to life. its a Wharthog and her two children.

No comments:

Post a Comment