Sunday, March 1, 2009

I am finally here


The Picture: Me and my two travel mates: Dennis and Gerry. Taken as we were waiting to pass customs at the Johannesburg airport.

Ok so after a 14 1/2 hour direct flight from Washington's Dulles airport to Johannesburg, South Africa where I spent the night last night at hotel near the JohBurg airport, and a 50 minute commuter flight from Johnannesburg to Manzani, Swaziland followed by a 30 minute cab ride I have finally arrived at the Mountain Inn Hotel. I will be staying here for my entire time in Swaziland. I left home originally on Thursday from the Rochester airport and three days later I am here.

My flight over: The flight over from Washington to South Africa was not bad at all. I had an aisle seat which of course is my preference when flying. I sat next to a student from Georgetown University who was going over to take part in a business competition of some sort. South African Airlines did a nice job with their service overall. It did not feel like over 14 hours to me although I know it was. I had a book to read, my mp3 player and the plane had a very nice interactive tounch screen video service (individual monitors at each seat)that offered, movies, TV shows, radio stations, and video games. I can not really sleep on planes so I passed my time watching movies mostly (Hair spray, The Devil's Wears Prada, Anna and the King, The Dutchess, The Emblem City, and Batman Begins). Airline food is what it is but I have learned from traveling to do one things when it comes to the food on these flights: Order a specialty meal if you can because they usually serve the specialty trays first (so know matter where you are sitting on the plane you get served first) and the drinks with no ice works fine. I ordered a "Kosher" meal I find they take better care of those trays and of course I was served first. Just a little tid bit for those of you doing traveling of your own. I also of course brought on board my own granola bars, protein bars and almonds. You should always brings a few of your favorite snacks when traveling long distances.

First Ipressions Well I am a bit tired but overall OK. It is raining here in Swaziland and the sky is very grey. The Kingdom of Swaziland is one of the smallest countries in Africa with just 1.1 million. The city of Manzini where I am at has about 80,000 people. The hotel I am in is definitely in the mountains and it is very green. The countries main natural resource is "Water". Flying into the local airport the scenary was beautiful from the little commuter flight I on. It is cool here about 58 - 60 degrees. The hotel is fairly modern with wireless internet so I will be able to post more frequently then I thought. I will attempt to upload my first pics later.

Whats next: At some point today I have to meet with the lead researcher and figure out exactly what I am going to be doing tomorrow. I am told for the first week here I will be doing a lot of observing and meeting people, which is fine. There is some paper work related to the project I have to become familiar with, which they gave to use on a jump drive. I will be working with the faculty at the Nazarene College of Nursing and in the clinical wards at the teaching hospital attached to the school. I will tell you all more about them later. OK I need a nap, followed by a work out session, so bye for now.

1 comment:

  1. Yea!! I am so glad you have arrived safely! Thanks for the great trips on overseas flights. And yes, I’ve officially joined my first blog! See what you make me do. Have a blast and keep posting! sef

    ReplyDelete