Monday, March 9, 2009

Safari Outing





Its been a few days since my last post but I was away in South Africa over the past weekend and got back late on sunday and up early on monday so I am just now getting back to this. Me and my colleague Dr. Kevin Mallison drove about 3.5 hours from Swazi to Mtubatuba in South Africa on Friday Afternoon. We went to go on a safari drive in Umfolozi National game reserve. We stayed in a very lovely B&B called "Wendy's". It was like taking a step back into a colonial period but it was really comfortable and included dinner and breakfast for only $47.50/night. We got up at 5AM on saturday to go out on the safari game drive with our guide "Jenny". She is the daughter-in-law of Wendy the owner of the B&B and was very knowledgable about the animals.

My first safari: Umfolozi is 220,000 acres and once were the royal hunting grounds of the Zulu people. It is amazing to stand in such a vast land mass with life all around you. I felt insignificant for sure and completely in awe. To be able to come so close to some of the animals is incredible. We witnessed a entire herd of elephants, a herd of Giraffe, and we spotted a White Rhino as well (they are extremely rare). Jenny takes you out in this huge 4x4 vehicle (There were a total of 9 on this trip, including two couples from England who were a hoot). We start out early in the morning as it is cooler and more animals are out then. We also stop in the park at resting area and Jenny got out and made us coffee and then again later we stopped and she cooked us breakfast in the park as well. We spent 8 hours in total in the park.

The beauty of this park unlike anything I have ever seen. The picutres do not capture it all but I hope they give you some idea. I hope I am blessed to be able to come back again in this life time. That was our trip on saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment